As the leading aquatic therapy provider in the South Bay, Performance Plus Physical Therapy combines 86-degree water, the decreased gravitational loads and the resistance of the water as well as the expertise of our specially trained aquatic Physical Therapists to provide highly effective, individualized water therapy to a variety of patients.
During your thorough initial evaluation, a Doctor of Physical Therapy will determine if aquatic therapy may be an effective supplement to your land-based therapy.
Exercising in water allows for:
- A non-impact environment allowing for joint distraction and relief of joint pain and inflammation
- An increase in joint and muscle flexibility
- The warmth of the water massages and relieves muscle pain and spasms.
- A quicker recovery as water therapy can often be started sooner than land therapy
- A resistive and cardiovascular work out
Aquatic Therapy may be beneficial for individuals with the following conditions:
- Arthritis or joint related pathologies of the spine including disc herniations, degenerative disc or joint disease and spinal stenosis
- Post-operative care including joint replacements, shoulder surgery, fracture repairs and spinal surgeries.
- Muscle spasms and strains/joint sprains
- Neurological conditions including stroke and traumatic brain injury
- Return to running or sport